US-CAN AEG Customs?
White Wolf

Hello all,

Been a while, I'm thinking of getting back into Airsoft this year.
And I'm looking at purchasing a KWA SR25 AEG from a good friend of mine in the states.

We were just wondering if boarder customs would let it through or not.
Does anyone have any experience with this or know if that would be allowed or not?

I have purchased a bolt action rifle from him before and they let that through - but an AEG might be a different story.

Any feedback or tips are appreciated,
Thanks!

Wolf
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2016 11:17 PM by White Wolf.)
White Wolf

So, I found this forum post on AirsoftCanada

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=40318

From what I can tell the short answer is no.
However if I get it shipped over in parts then yes - unless the KWA SR25 AEG has a full metal body frame - it looks like that would be the only issue...

I hope it's not an issue.

Last time I purchased the Bolt action we also had it totally stripped down and broken up into parts, and also declared as what it was. And the boarder customs let it through no problem after an inspection.

So I hope they would do the same thing for an AEG - but I don't know for sure.

Anyone have any input on the matter?
RiggedDice

From what I've found myself across the net, customs is very much hard to judge. The difference does lie in that its not coming from a retailer, which would (usually) include the papers for customs stating its FPS and the like. I believe the usual thing, if shipping or otherwise, is just have the papers with it stating its FPS, though i believe you need them from a gunsmith or something, that part I'm unsure of. Best to err on the side of caution, else you'll find yourself and your friend out an AEG.
Marshall
Admin / Honey Badgers
Administrators

Further to the previously linked ASC post there is another post related to the import law changes since:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=168803

Specifically an airsoft rifle firing between 366 FPS on .20g bb and 500FPS on .20g bb is considered an Uncontrolled firearm. Providing you can have documentation that it is shooting at that FPS and/or get them to test the rifle at the border you may be able to import it. In this case you would probably be better off shipping to a border town and then bringing it through customs youself though. It would be good to have a bill of sale though as well as you will have to pay duty/tax.
lurkingknight
Posting Freak

the wording on the upper end of the limit to define an uncontrolled firearm is ambiguous. I understood it as 500fps with a .2 AND 5.6J output. 5.6J makes 768ish fps with a .2 which conflicts with the statement of 500fps with a .2. Either is well above what would be considered safe/field legal, and in reality, only hpa setups can be turned up that high anyways with some modding. Bottom line is anything for reasonable airsoft use above 366fps can be considered uncontrolled firearm.

memorandum d19-13-2 has all of the info, the problem is that it can be interpreted differently between different CBSA officers, so even if it states clearly in plain text your aeg falls in the permissible uncontrolled firearm classification, the agent can still seize it without proper paperwork.

The wording in the memorandum pertaining to receivers airsoft or not classify them as replica. A receiver by their definition is the part of the body that bears a serial number, or the part that would normally do so on a real firearm, so now lowers, no pistol frames, no uppers of certain guns. This is wildly open to interpretation by agents, so they may choose to seize or not on a whim. It's happened before.

Furthermore, people who say 'I have imported such and such a part' might not be correct. Packages are not always checked nor are they always opened. Also again items are permissible seemingly at the whim of the inspecting agent.

If your package arrived containing a prohibited device, unopened, count yourself lucky. They either didn't read the declaration, read it and didn't care, didn't look at the xray when it passed through, or identified it as harmless, or it was in the pile of stuff they didn't xray because the shipper lied and committed mail fraud by declaring the item as something it is not.

Lots of variables there in the case that you got your item without inspection.

How do you know your item was inspected by a person?

It will have been opened. You can tell it was opened because it will be repacked very poorly and hastily and taped up with bright tape that says CBSA, ccanada customs, etc.

there's a thread on this forum that mentions something about a y38 form, this is a document you can get for an item you legally purchased here in canada, are travelling abroad with it and intend to return/reimport this item into the country.

If you are attempting to import an item from outside, then you are rolling the dice that your item can be seized and possibly your name be added to a watch list so more packages from outside the country get inspected if they are coming to you, or you get searched when entering the country.

I futz with v2s, v3s and v6s
Marshall
Admin / Honey Badgers
Administrators

TL;DR Be afraid Wink

But seriously it's hit or miss, good luck if you attempt, I still would personally try to bring it back over the border rather than directly shipping it or shipping it in pieces.
White Wolf

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

@lurkingknight
Yea, I knew it was inspected because of the repacking and they included an inspection form saying it was inspected.

@Marshall
Thanks for the tip.

--------

After watching some airsoft sniper vids on youtube as well as remembering my experiences with both a VSR10 (spring/bolt action) and a WELL Dragnov SVD (gas, semi auto).
I've decided that I actually want to go with the reliable VSR 10 instead of the SR25.

Eventually I would love to get a SR25 as well, but the VSR10 is just so reliable no matter what conditions or what time of year you use it. Not to mention it is far more quite and just fits my play style much better.
RiggedDice

If you're going to buy one now, if you go the JG/TM route, the parts are currently quite scarce. you'll either be ordering direct from PDI for internal parts or trying to find a re-seller that has stock of action army parts. From my recent searching, the L96 rifles have more parts available in Canada. Divison XP has stock of Action Army parts as of posting, you'll just currently need to order over the phone.
White Wolf

(04-27-2016 06:23 PM)RiggedDice Wrote:  If you're going to buy one now, if you go the JG/TM route, the parts are currently quite scarce. you'll either be ordering direct from PDI for internal parts or trying to find a re-seller that has stock of action army parts. From my recent searching, the L96 rifles have more parts available in Canada. Divison XP has stock of Action Army parts as of posting, you'll just currently need to order over the phone.

Yea, I got connections, so I'll be getting a fully upgraded VSR 10 no problem =)

Never really liked the L96 personally