Legal Questions...
dungeontiger

Of course this is a sensitive topic. I'm not interested in stirring anything up, I'm just trying to understand.

I read the interesting threads here about supposed law changes, safe storage and transport requirements. Great thread, thanks for all the clarifications.

I have other questions though. As I understand it, it is legal to import an airsoft gun into Canada if its muzzle velocity is between 366 to 500fps. I can understand an upper limit. However, why they lower limit? Is this just an artifact of confused legislation or is there a legitimate reason?

Also, does that mean if I own an airsoft gun that happens to shoot at 320fps for whatever reason, that I am in possession of an illegal firearm? Could it be seized and could I be charged?

The last question would be, does any of this change if you have a PAL?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Durak
Warmongers

As I understand it, it is legal to import an airsoft gun into Canada if its muzzle velocity is between 366 to 500fps. I can understand an upper limit. However, why they lower limit? Is this just an artifact of confused legislation or is there a legitimate reason?

paraphrasing canadian law a replica fire arm is something that cannot cause bodily harm and looks real. replica firearms are illegal. the CBSA and RCMP judge airsoft guns that shoot at 366 with a .2 bb as something that can cause bodily harm and therefore are not replicas, but because the impact joules are low, and the FPS is not over 500 its uncontrolled, as anything with an impact force of 5.7 joules and fires above 500 fps is considered a firearm. however for an airsoft gun to meet this if i recall the FPS has to be something like 750. but to be safe keep it under 500. if you want to read something, http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/....html#a4x3 sections 48-54 cover just about everything.

Also, does that mean if I own an airsoft gun that happens to shoot at 320fps for whatever reason, that I am in possession of an illegal firearm? Could it be seized and could I be charged?

yes, but unlikely if your not doing anything that would cause them to notice you like flashing it in public, or robbing a bank or something equally stupid. however if it has a transparent or clear receiver it may not be classifed as a replica.

The last question would be, does any of this change if you have a PAL?

no. anything under 366 is a replica fire arm, and anything over 366 is an uncontrolled fire arm. PALs only allow the aquisition of firearms, RPALs for restricted fire arms. if your gun had an impact force over 5.7 joules, you would need a PAL as it would be considered a fire arm.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

One of the most sincere forms of flattery, is when the opposition thinks you are doing so much harm, that they want to blow you up.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 11:33 PM by Durak.)