Poll: Would you play a game with minors present?
Yes
No
Other - Please Post
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Minor Games (Mixed)
Chef
Posting Freak

I am more or less curious to see where the community is shifting these days.

This season has introduced a lot of new minors to the community and with fields like the LZ and Petawawa Airsoft hosting dedicated events to those players, I have to wonder if the community as a whole is coming to accept this as a norm.

The Poll is basic:
Would you play a game with minors present?
Yes
No
Other - Please Post

(07-08-2012 04:03 PM)Moderate Wrote:  It'd be like your pharmacist importing cocaine, cutting it, and then selling it to you...it's still illegal.
HaZarD
Gone to BMQ. Getting Jacked up!

Hmm why durak???

Gun Doc / Tech Support :
TM M14
ICS M4's
Ver.2, Ver.3, Ver.7

[Image: HaZarD_zpsr0xwcogr.png]
Durak
Warmongers

I voted other, preferably two conditions are met. First, their parents know what the game is, how its played, and what the risks are, and preferably play the first game with their child or at least be present for a few hours. Second, the minor proves himself to be mature, coming onto the boards using full sentances, propper punctuation, and little internet or texting speek (you guys are still in school so theres no excuse, most of us its been a few years). Also not getting frustrated when people dont give them certain information, like where to buy guns, or stuff that is easily googled, or is already posted.

I've played with and against minors, I have no problem shooting at them, as they dont have a problem shooting at me.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

One of the most sincere forms of flattery, is when the opposition thinks you are doing so much harm, that they want to blow you up.
critter631
Team 7 ETF

I voted yes with restrictions. Namely that it is a designated minors event. I think with the influx of new young players getting turned onto the sport and it kind of coming out of the shadows it is the older players responsibility to the sport to take them under their wing so to speak. Buddy up with the younger players and teach them the nuances of this game. How to fight and how to win. Responsible mentors make for a new generation of switched on and airsoft dedicated shooters. Who will be the ones to carry the sport on and pass it down to the ones after them. If you dont give them a venue to play under supervision and regulated with proper rules, thats when you get kids out in parks and playgrounds with AEG's and GBB's. And followed quickl;y by police and the typical "the sky is falling" response from the airsoft world.

SEMPER PRIMUS
Team 7

(08-27-2011 12:20 PM)Lymbo Wrote:  You'll have to excuse critter, he doesn't understand "parents". They hatched him at Pet.

[Image: breach_tactical.png]
Funk

I said other as well. Not that you magically become a responsible adult on your 18th birthday, but I guess somebody had to pick a number.

I agree with Durak that parental involvement is good, but parental consent should be enough. There are probably lots of parents out there that would let their kids play but have no interest themselves, so why punish the kid because dad won't come out to play?

Perhaps have a required 'introductory day' a couple times a year where kids come out with parents and get talked to and have a couple quick scrims to get a taste? Or on game days start this intro an hour earlier than the actual game?

Past that, I think it should be based on the maturity of the individual. If they don't follow the rules or otherwise emanate bad vibes, then they're out until next season or they turn 18 or whatever. (This applies to everyone, though...anyone can be banned for any period of time for a number of reasons.)

One last thing I'll say, and I believe I'm qualified to say it, is that English is a living language. The spelling of words, use of punctuation and so on are things that are constantly in flux. "Texting speak" comes from the need to express oneself in 160 characters or less, and those that have difficulty with it are showing their age more than anything else. The habit necessarily extends to anything with a keyboard, but more so for younger people as many of them do their web browsing from their phones anyway. (The last I read, mobile web use is very nearly 50% of all web traffic now.)

It's true that no one expecting to be understood by a wide audience should be using a lot of text speak. But if a little creeps in here and there and you find yourself squinting, you should take it as a reminder that the world moves fast and you're getting old. Big Grin
lurkingknight
Posting Freak

I voted yes, because the expectation that I have of young players is the same I have of ALL players just the same: the ability to behave and communicate clearly and maturely. To be able to patiently conduct themselves in a competitive manner but be a good sportsman at the same time.

After that, any new player is prone to making mistakes, hell I've made a tone in my first few games, the goal is to be able to learn from them from productive and constructive feedback from other players.

Explaining what goes on in a game to parents is important, they should know what the kids are getting into, and they should be encouraged to participate as well to see what it's like, but not forced to do so in order to allow their kids to play.
critter631
Team 7 ETF

Also I think people need to be able to separate the forums from the actual gameplay since they tend to be two very different beasts.

SEMPER PRIMUS
Team 7

(08-27-2011 12:20 PM)Lymbo Wrote:  You'll have to excuse critter, he doesn't understand "parents". They hatched him at Pet.

Funk

(09-07-2011 10:16 AM)critter631 Wrote:  Also I think people need to be able to separate the forums from the actual gameplay since they tend to be two very different beasts.

I agree. I write very well, but I'm a crap player.
critter631
Team 7 ETF

Not so much the skill levels. But most often then not forums tend to come off as pretty hostile, and then when guys get to games they find the community is real easy going and helpfull.

SEMPER PRIMUS
Team 7

Durak
Warmongers

All i meant by putting full sentences and propper punctuation is the people who type like they are still in kindergarten but claim to be mature for example:

I wants to get a airsoft to shoot in my back yars, to kill skwirls and shoot targits, im 17 but im super mature, tell me wheres i can get a gun. Your all discriminating me and breaking my human rites.

I do agree that a little netspeak is fine but if someone comes in using only netspeak, theres no reason for it, this isnt twitter, theres no character limit. Full sentances with a wtf or lol in it doesnt get me bent out of shape but something like this does:

Omg omg i h8ed it whn ppl 8 my chikn dnnr srrsly wtf is tht. I pwn thse nubs wit my hmmr.

One of the most sincere forms of flattery, is when the opposition thinks you are doing so much harm, that they want to blow you up.
critter631
Team 7 ETF

Why would anyone bring a chicken dinner to an airsoft game?

SEMPER PRIMUS
Team 7

Marshall
Admin / Honey Badgers
Administrators

(09-07-2011 12:30 PM)critter631 Wrote:  Why would anyone bring a chicken dinner to an airsoft game?

Winner winner, chicken dinner?
Durak
Warmongers

(09-07-2011 12:30 PM)critter631 Wrote:  Why would anyone bring a chicken dinner to an airsoft game?

why wouldnt anyone bring chicken to an airsoft game

But seriously this is starting to get off topic, all I meant by comments is if they dont treat the forums like twitter, maby they wont treat the game like call of duty.

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 01:02 PM by Durak.)
Weasel

Some people though are playing airsoft (responsibly) because they are tired of sitting on there ass playing call of duty. This may not be true for everyone (i know its not) but even for a few mature people, it is. Yes it shouldn't be treated like call of duty in the sense of gun safety and other stuff, but a bit of call of duty wont kill the sport. (no three six zeros though Tongue )

Evan

Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent.
Chef
Posting Freak

Ya, lets get back to the topic at hand.

So far this has been a good read and a decent discussion.

My personal feelings is it should depend on the the individual. While I agree with Critter to an extent on seperating the forums from the game, it goes along way to prove oneself on the forums first.

I have been following the LZ Underage Games and most of these kids already have their own guns and gear. For all purposes they are ready to play. They can either play with us, or play in parks.

(07-08-2012 04:03 PM)Moderate Wrote:  It'd be like your pharmacist importing cocaine, cutting it, and then selling it to you...it's still illegal.